Thursday, May 8, 2014

Carb Cleanup - 5-4-14

We've done an awful lot of cosmetic restoration - but haven't really touched on the mechanics.. 
This day, Dad made a good call and decided to clean up the Carburetor, along with the air cleaner mount.  


In his own words: 
"I disassembled the entire carb and found it to be really pretty clean.
One of the compensating valves was stuck on its shaft, the other one
was free. After degreasing and blowing everything out,  the needle
valve was cleaned, everything was lubed up and reassembled. I was able
to reuse the original gaskets but I replaced the thin aluminum washers
with new copper ones.
Next was to de-grease the aluminum air cleaner holder and elbow. This is
a 2 part piece. The air cleaner is sandwiched between and it is made
of metal screening. I took the dimensions and K & N makes one that
will fit. I did a slight modification to the metal  top and bottom
covers to allow the new air filter to fit,  cleaned them up and
treated them for rust. I will prime and paint these two pieces. I will
pick up a new air cleaner and a new piece of rubber hose to make the
connection between the carb and the air cleaner. I cleaned up the
original hose clamps and will re-use these."

As a side note - if you look behind the air cleaner mount - just inside the firewall, you'll see the cleaned up timer installed and wired in. 

As usual - a HUGE thank you goes out to Dad for this one!
More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment