Friday, May 30, 2014

Putting the Brakes on - 5-28-14

A while back, when starting to put the brakes back on, I discovered that I didn't have them all. Missing one wheels worth of brake parts, I put in an order almost immediately to Dean at Fredericksburg Shops. Once the new shoe, hangers, spring arm and block arrived, Dad put them together and I went over to help with assembly.
Here is the Crank side, mostly done. Unfortunately I determined that I had to remove the front shoe and swap it to the operator's side to make the shoe line up correctly. Whoops. 

Here is the fully assembled shoe from Dean - turned out I guess I got the wrong shaft measurement off the M19 and ordered the wrong size hole in the hangers. Whoops. Dad's drill press made quick fixing of my error. 

Eventually, finishing by lantern light, we got all four wheels assembled, and adjusted to provide braking in the first notch. 

http://www.mainememory.net/artifact/14504/enlarge
On MaineMemory.net - in the Oakfield Historical Society Collection. Dad is convinced that the Bangor and Aroostook M14 pictured is his car. #18. We've found bolt holes that match the location of the drink cup dispenser and his car does have the box for holding a lantern on the front. In addition, it does have the large tool boxes and holes where the wipers would have been. 

Dad has found one of the running boards to be bad - so he replaced it. Upon flopping the board over, we see these two half hinges:
Note the position of the steel covering up the brake rigging - it matches up with the location of the hinges on this piece of running board. 
Is the car pictured BAR 18? We may never know - but its a good guess!

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment