Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Identifying parts - 8-13-05

About six weeks after my last work session - I found myself trying to figure out what a piece of my speeder is. In the process of trying to figure out how to mount a generator onto the engine, I determined that my engine seemed to have an additional accessory that I couldn't identify. 

Here is the top of the engine - we're going on the left in this picture

Here is the first of a detail shot - those familiar with Fairmont engines will note that the casting just to the right of the firewall is not on most Fairmont engines

Here is a true Detail shot - it was obviously either original or very close to original equipment.

From this angle its very difficult to see - but I still couldn't identify it.

It would take another two years - June 21st 2007 to be exact - to find someone to identify it. A post on the Speeders e-mail list netted a response from Dick Forde of New Hampshire - who identified this as an external bearing, designed to help take the additional stress of the belt side of the engine. 
This was the first indication that I might have an actual Bangor and Aroostook car - most of them owned by the B&A had this option. 

No comments:

Post a Comment