Thursday, February 27, 2014

Now we come to the Odd Part - 2005 to 2013

So far on this blog I've shown you how I tore down the motorcar in 2005. Between 2005 and 2013 - there was absolutely no progress made. I did do some work on the motorcar sometime in 2007 - but I don't have any pictures of it and it wasn't significant.
I had Dad bring it down to a Railroad Museum I was volunteering at - then after a bit - I had Dad bring it back to his house. It moved a few times at Dad's place - and eventually the parts were separated for storage.
      Many things happened in my life, personal, professional and the motorcar still sat. I photographed multiple motorcar runs in Maine and after each one I would say (often to other motorcar operators) I gotta get mine on the rail. It just didn't happen.
      It took a rather interesting conversation between my Dad and I to really get things rolling again. My Dad collects antique engines - commonly known as One Lungers. He has been the President of the Maine Antique Power Association for many years. It isn't often that one of his phone calls or e-mails about a new addition to the collection or a trade surprises me anymore - but this one did. The conversation went something like this: "I am trading two of my engines for a pair of motorcars. They're in Vermont and I need a hand going to get them. Wanna come?" It took a few minutes for my brain to catch up to my ears - Dad had never shown much interest in my Motorcar and here he was making a deal to swap two of his engines for two of them.
     There they are - Dad's A car and his ex Bangor and Aroostook M14. Overnight we went from a one motorcar family to a three motorcar family. 
      Dad's cars proved to be the catalyst for kicking us into getting my M19 restored. On the next post, we'll start with the restoration effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment