Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The day I actually showed up and started doing something! 4-5-14

Dad's been working very hard on the #62 - the advantage of having tools and time. (Not to mention having it in this basement helps) This day I managed to get over and help!
Here is the first major contribution of new parts for the car. Electrical wiring - got to bring this car into NARCOA compliance. The Black cable is four conductor cable - 14 gauge - to allow me to run the lighting to both ends in a single cable

I know what some of you are thinking - that doesn't look like a Fairmont coil. You're right - it doesn't. It is however a surface mount brand new construction coil, setup for 12 volts. You can find one on eBay. 

Here is the Battery box I picked up to house all the 2000's electrical gear in the 1940's car. 

And here we are with the Battery box test fitted

From a different angle - note the cable openings that will be used to get the spark plug and other wires out to the car

First test fitting for the contents of the battery box - the Werker Lead-acid batteries will fit, but the lawn and garden battery doesn't seem like it will based upon the measurements I took. The Switches, contacts and other wiring will also be contained within the battery box, with the exception of the ignition kill switch which will be on the main control panel. 

It took me a long time - but I finally managed to catch Dad laying down on the job! :-) He's tightening up the boxes that cover the lift handles. 

While Dad was putting the boxes on, I pulled the control panel off

Took these shots primarily to remember how the timer and throttle levers were attached

Here is the control panel - all removed and ready for sand blasting

Confirmation of the crank working and fitting

Here is the operator's side handle cover boxes all tied down and ready for a tad bit of paint on the clips

Now for the Crank side - the two pieces near Dad's hands are the originals and the new piece is the top for the box. In this shot we're piecing together the proper length and width required

Speaking of Width - the piece was too wide (I gave the original specs I gave to Neil our resident wood worker, guess I was wrong) Here we are slimming the piece down to 2 and 1/8th inches to match the other side. 

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment